CONTENT IS KING for Social Media Traffic
When you want to get more Social Media traffic - you need to make sure that your content is absolutely top notch for your audience. Forget blatant constant promotion, you'll need to me mostly helpful and casually promotional.
- Be helpful – forget the sales pitch. People want to “solve a problem” – make sure you, your product and your website are focused towards solving a problem – whatever it may be. Whether it’s “What shall I cook tonight?” or “How to increase website traffic” – your social media marketing should all be about solving “Someone Else’s Problem” (a twist on the meaning of the SEP - with apologies to Douglas Adams)
- Publish more content, regularly – daily is ideal. Weekly as a minimum. This will give you more great things to post for improving your Social Media traffic campaigns.
- Publish ORIGINAL well-researched content - don’t just braindump. Brainstorm, think, plan, design, write, refine, proof, then publish ;)
- Author content which is relevant – don’t repeat content from other sources. Make your website relevant, THE website to visit in your niche
- Design a funny comic related to your niche – with links to your site
- Design a regular funny comic or page – “Funny Fridays”, “Lazy Mondays”. Think on the lines of “The Borowitz Report”
- When publishing content, stick to one rule – “How would I behave if I were the one reading it?” If you were looking for something, would the article you are about to publish help, or would you just skim it and bounce off. If it’s irrelevant, refer to 4 ;) If you’ve seen it before, refer to 4 ;) If you just say “mehh”, refer to 4 ;)
- Use great titles for your content, titles which tempt or create curiosity – “How I got my website to load in 1.29 seconds” vs “Increase your website load time”. Think “How I made Google my bitch!” vs “Improve your search engine rankings”. If necessary spend a lot of time titles – they are the portals to your website. Especially if you want great Social Media traffic, you'll need to find titles which trigger emotional responses. Curiosity. Shock. Anger. Eagerness. Empathy.
- Share your expertise as website content – don’t underestimate the power of social sharing. The viral effect of sharing good content is much better than trying to charge for that content through your “consultancy services”. Only if you get the traffic will you be able to monetize it.
- Author a good eBook and embed links to your content and “sales” pages
- Give it out for free – or at the minimal cost of joining your mailing list, liking your Facebook page, or otherwise providing you with means to keep a user coming back
- Give other stuff away. Free software works wonders for traffic. SWAG in response to questionnaires works very well too. FREE 30 DAY Trial is not free. Lite (free) versions of software on the other hand are cool
- Don’t write the content you want your visitors to read – write content your visitors want to read (huge difference)
- Author and publish something controversial – go against established trends (with good reasons of course). Think “How I abandoned Google SEO in favour of Social Media Marketing”.
- Think about something which is bound to go viral – informative infographics, controversial content, hilariously funny content, a brand new concept or idea which creates a revolution. Then create a killer article(s) and publish.
- Research the keywords you want to target (use Google Trends or Google Keyword tool) and use them within your articles
- Test which content is working and which isn’t. Build upon the content which is working
- Stop being so serious when writing content for the web – let go, have some fun. Visitors want to be entertained as well as informed
- Keep visitors on your site – Include a “You might also like” at the end of content and link to other related content. Do this manually, not with automated plugins
Social Media Traffic: Be Social, be heard, be everywhere
Find communities you right about, make yourself useful. People will trust you. When you link to your useful articles, please will trust you.
Be a useful, helpful person in your niche communities. Your articles will be trusted. Boom. Increased Website Traffic.
- Embed Social sharing buttons in your website – Facebook, Twitter and Google+ (yes Google+ is important) as a minimum. You may choose to add other social networks which are relevant for your specific website niche. Avoid using a 100,000 social share buttons because that increases page load time, make for a horrible user experience and will decrease instead of increase your traffic including your social media traffic.
- Find relevant communities in your niche and join. Whether they are on Facebook, independent forums, Reddit, LinkedIn, Google+, Pinterest, Spiceworks or wherever else they might be – join. Most importantly, participate. Be useful and helpful.
- If they allow signatures ensure you have a compelling one with a link to your website or your social media presence
- Become an authority in the community – one of the people who people are bound to follow not ignore. Think of the communities you visit, who are the people you respect? Why do you respect them? Become that person
- Become a volunteer – help out in the above communities and in your niche when and where help is required. Ensure that people know you and trust you
- Create a compelling, attractive profile of yourself or your website. Make it attractive to your target audience by helping – solve SEPs
- Follow people who know their stuff too. You want to know the latest trends and follow their recommendations where applicable. Share their content when relevant, they will reciprocate. Networking with these people opens huge opportunities of increase your website's traffic. You just need to get linked by a few influencers or large sites.
- Build a personal relationship / strong network of people who would be willing to share your content
Increase website traffic with Facebook
- Create a Facebook page for your website – whether it’s a business or a blog, make sure you are on Facebook. Link to your Facebook page from your website – duhh!
- If funds permit, create a mobile app for your website. Something which provides a useful feature rather than a mindless dump of your content
- Use the “Like” competition cliché - “Like and share this photo to enter our fantastically rewarding competition” – it works, free stuff works
- Showcase the results of the competition. This is especially useful if it is a web-related content and you will provide linkbacks (everybody loves free website traffic ;))
STOP! Why not use a Facebook Like Box Popup to increase your Facebook Fans and Social Media Traffic?
Twitter – Make your Tweets count
- Setup a Twitter account for your business separately from your personal accounts
- Use that account to follow ALL the relevant people in your niche
- Retweet the content they post which is important for your audience
- Tweet interesting content for your target audience, don’t just tweet each new article you publish
- Tweet snippets of information relevant to your community
- Tweet your content – research and add popular #hashtags if and when relevant
- Tweet content multiple (at least 4) times. Twitter gets updated very often and posts are likely to be missed. Use different titles and descriptions to see which works best to increase social media traffic - and if you find something is working really well, you should consider changing the headline of the article too.
Google / Google+
- Claim Google+ Authorship for all your authors
- Join relevant Google+ Communities and post relevant compelling content when relevant (without spamming)
- Follow relevant people in your niche. You are likely to get followed if you follow the people that matter
- Set up a Google+ Business Page and link it to your website
- Use Google Rich Snippets and structured data to “tag” your pages in Google WebMasters
In spite of what some people say, Google+ is not dead - make sure you give it the importance it merits because you can plenty of Social Media traffic from it if you play your cards right.
YouTube and Podcasts
- Setup a Youtube channel
- Link to your other social media, Facebook, Twitter, website from the channel
- Post regular informative videos
- Optimize your videos for YouTube SEO
- Make sure you are using a transcript with relevant keywords
- Follow relevant people/channels in your niche
- Record the video as a podcast where necessary and submit to relevant directories
Other Social Media Marketing
- Link to your website on the about me of social networks That's a simple but effective way of getting free social media traffic.
- Create and upload relevant presentations to SlideShare and Scribd – ensure that you embed links to your website!
- Convert good popular content to link-friendly PDFs and upload to Slideshare and Scribd
- Try to get some content posted in a Reddit community. If you SPAM in Reddit you will get torn to pieces and thrown to the wolves. Thread carefully
- Link to your website using your profile anywhere which will take a URL link. Do NOT SPAM.
- Encourage your visitors to engage. Enable comments on your website – but monitor them for SPAM. Reply to emails, comments, queries and any other form of engagement. Keep the conversation flowing
- Ask pertinent questions on Social media, and reply with useful advice after reading others’ replies
Directories can still increase website traffic
- Advertise your website in the appropriate categories at Craigslist. Try posting your ads in the most populated cities in the world
- Local Craigslist submissions works just as well as international – people talk and recommend
- Submit to the local popular web directories
- Submit to Google Places for Business
- Submit to Bing Places for Business
- Submit to Yahoo! Local Listings
- If you are a local business or have an actual physical presence, make sure you are present on Google Maps
- Submit your site to the relevant category in DMOZ.org and hope :)
- Find other directories relevant to your niche and submit to them (if they are popular so much the better – pay to enter if they are proven to work (check them with Alexa.com). Here's a good list of 327+ places to get traffic to your blog.
- Specific vertical industries are a great idea – if you see a trend in a specific vertical focus extreme effort in that area
- Piggy back on the success of others. Create a presence on websites which are highly trafficked. This is besides the Facebooks, the Twitters and the YouTubes. Figure out the relevant sites in your niche and get yourself linked in there. If you are a music producer, it’s Soundcloud. If you are a Joomla developer, it’s the JED. If you focus on WordPress, it’s the Plugins directory. Find the behemoth in your niche, and piggy back a ride on their success. It's also good to find a niche in your niche. Riding on somebody's success is a guaranteed way of increasing website traffic. Hence the reason people guest post. More on that later.
Increase website traffic with Search Engine Optimization
- Visit the SEO Periodic table and take the time to understand it and apply fixes where necessary. If you're looking for Joomla SEO - you can start with these 15 Joomla SEO Tips.
- Make you have an easy domain name – something which can be remembered easily. One words are ideal. Short words or phrases are great
- Make sure your website loads really quickly
- Create an XML sitemap
- Submit your sitemap to Google WebMasters
- Submit your sitemap to Bing WebMasters
- Use Google WebMaster tools to monitor and fix problems with your site
- Link to your own content. Cross-reference pages and point to the ones which are most popular and successful. Or point to the ones you want to make successful
- Make sure your website is mobile friendly – some niches are particularly sensitive to mobile traffic. Facebook gets most visits via smartphones, visitors referred via Facebook are likely to see your site on a phone. Test and ensure they get a good experience
- Make sure your content is available for non-english speakers. Enable a one-click translation plugin if you don't have translated content
Surveys – Publish interesting analytics
- Run surveys/questionnaires with interesting questions e.g. “What is your PPC Budget for the next year?” vs “Do you like our new website?” - offer gifts for replies
- Analyse the data and publish results - if you get the right traction, it's a guarantee that you will increase website traffic
- Make a press releases with your survey results
- Create and publish an interesting Infographic with the result of your survey.
Email – reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated
- Compel your visitors to join your mailing list. A large email list will give you a steady source of returning traffic. If you are looking for the single tip to focus on to increase website traffic - this is it. Grow your list.
- Strategically place and advertise your mailing list. The end of a great article would be ideal. Ensure you make it useful: “Want more byte-sized tricks to increase website traffic delivered to your inbox?” vs “Subscribe to our mailing list”
- Post regular useful content – not just links to your latest articles
- By regular we mean keep a steady schedule – daily will need a lot of effort to maintain interest. Fortnightly works well both for you and your visitors
- Give your newsletter a cool name: Tempting Thursdays, Freaky Fridays, Bluesy Mondays, Soothing Sundays – whatever works for your niche
- Embed links to your website in your newsletter - yes yes it sounds quite obvious
- For the love of your favourite god / deity (or lack thereof) - don’t SPAM. By SPAM we mean, don’t send contents which are irrelevant. If you don’t have any relevant content, it would be better to send a joke to keep your audience amused rather than irritated with your spammy content ;)
- Embed a link to a compelling article on your website in your corporate email signature. Remember to link to relevant newsworthy content
Buy targeted traffic and get linked
- Buy traffic through keyword targeting on Google Adwords
- Buy advertising space on websites which are in your niche or are relevant to your website.
- If you are paying for links, it is advisable to use nofollow links. Sponsored listings without nofollow are likely to penalize both the linker and the linkee
- Guest blog on websites which are relevant to your niche. Link to your website via your profile. If you are able to get links to your website via blogger outreach emails, this is a sure way to increase website traffic.
- Sponsor adverts in newsletters on websites which your target demographic visits
- Create a rewarding affiliate program and focus on growing it…rather than thinking of the margin you are giving away (-ve), think of it this way (+ve): 1) Free backlinks, 2) leads which you otherwise would have lost
Just a few left - we're soon done
- Post a detailed review of a great product you’ve used and then offer to be an official testimonial – you might get used and linked to on the product’s pages
- Place your website images in a Google indexable folder. Correctly name your images and include keywords where relevant. Google Images will likely send you traffic
- Create a presence on TripAdvisor and make sure your service is excellent to ensure you get great ratings :)
- Write a 101 things to do for your favourite topic and social share it :)
- Skip the 101st just for fun :)
- (...and finally the bonus 102nd) write for online magazines and get linked
Now that you know how to build social media traffic, how many of these do you plan to implement? We've done many of these and you know what, over the months, we have seen a steady increase in website traffic.
One more thing...Do you have friends or a Facebook group who you think would find this useful? Share this with them and then let me know what they think.
Want to supercharge your website?Our website loads FAST ... just 1.29 seconds. We're hosted on FAST InMotion servers We want YOUR website to be fast too, so we've gotten you an exclusive deal - 47% OFF for DART Creations friends + FREE domain! Check it out NOW!
who are we?
DART Creations is run by David Attard - working in and around the web design niche for more than 12 years, we provide actionable tips for people who work with and on websites. We also run DronesBuy.net - a website for drone hobbyists
Follow us on Social
Advertise on DART-Creations.com
DART Creations is interested in developing partnerships with mutual benefit. If you like the stuff we publish and would like to develop a relationship, we'd be happy to hear from you. Go on - drop us a line - we'd love to hear from you :-)
The Outstanding october Bundle
AWESOMENESS! Bundles of premium font + graphic packs at more than 96% OFF! Get this bundle for just $29 - This month ONLY!
New! DIVI 3.0 WordPress TeMPLATE + PageBuilder - 10% OFF Limited Launch offer
You'll surely create a perfect website with Divi 3.0!