Because some extensions contain a large number of files, it's often hard to install them via the Joomla administrator area. This is because hosting companies often put strict limits on the amount of resources you can use on your server, and uploading large files can take a lot of resources. When you try to upload these large extensions, you may end up with timeouts or error messages. This tutorial is brought to you by: Open Source Training
We're going to show you two methods for upload large extensions. One of these methods will also allow you to install dozens of extensions at once.
#1: The Upload Package File Method
Let's demonstrate this method by using Virtuemart, which is one of the very largest Joomla extensions.
- Download the extension package to your computer.
- Unzip the package. In this case the folder became /com_virtuemart/.
- Browse to your Joomla site and find the /tmp/ folder.
- Upload the /com_virtuemart/ folder to your /tmp/ folder.
- Go to Extensions > Extension Manager
- Find the Upload Package File area.
- The path to your site's /tmp/ folder should already be entered. Check that it it.
- Add the your new folder name to the end of that path. In this case, I'll add /com_virtuemart/.
- Click Install.
- Your component should install successfully!
#2 The Discover Method
This method is similar, but a little different to the method above. The main advantage is that it can be used to install many extensions at once. Here's how it can work for modules:
- In this example, I have around a dozen Virtuemart modules on my desktop.
- Extract each module into it's own folder.
- Browse to your Joomla site files and upload all of those folders to your /modules/ folder.
- Go to Extensions > Extension Manager > Discover
- All of the modules will show in this area.
- Select all of the modules and click Install in the top-right corner.
The process of doing this for templates and plugins is similar, but just a little different:
- For templates, upload to the /templates/ folder instead.
- For plugins, upload to the /plugins/ folder instead, but make sure to also choose the right subfolder such as /content/ or /system/. The most accurate way is look at the names of plugin files. They will have names such as en-GB.plg_system_ostoolbar.ini which tells you the plugin should be in the /system/ folder.
The Discover Method for Components
Doing the Discover process for componets is more difficult. We couldn't find any documentation on how to do this, so we worked it out by trial and error.
Here, for the first time anywhere, we present the Discover method for uploading components.
There are two tricky parts to uploading a component in this way:
- Figuring out which folders to upload to the /administrator/components/ area and which to upload to /components/.
- Remembering to add the components .xml file to both of those locations.
We're going to use the example of OSToolbar.
- Download the OSToolbar by clicking here.
- Extract the folder on your desktop.
- In this example, the /admin/ folder contains our administrator files and the /site/ folder contains the frontend files. It won't always be that obvious. You'll need to use your intuition. The /exts/ folder contains the plugins.
- Rename the /admin/ folder to /com_ostoolbar/.
- Browse to the /administrator/components/ folder on your site.
- Upload the /com_ostoolbar/ folder to the /administrator/components/ folder.
- Upload the ostoolbar.xml file into your /administrator/components/com_ostoolbar/ folder.
- Rename the /site/ folder to /com_ostoolbar/.
- Browse to the /components/ folder on your site.
- Upload the /com_ostoolbar/ folder to the /components/ folder.
- Upload the ostoolbar.xml file into your /components/com_ostoolbar/ folder.
- Go to Extensions > Extension Manager > Discover.
- Click Discover and the component will appear.
- Check the box next to the component and click Install.
This tutorial is brought to you by: Open Source Training
One more thing...Do you have friends or a Facebook group who you think would find this useful? Share this with them and then let me know what they think.
Want to supercharge your website?Our website loads FAST ... just 1.29 seconds. We're hosted on FAST InMotion servers We want YOUR website to be fast too, so we've gotten you an exclusive deal - 47% OFF for DART Creations friends + FREE domain! Check it out NOW!
who are we?
DART Creations is run by David Attard - working in and around the web design niche for more than 12 years, we provide actionable tips for people who work with and on websites. We also run DronesBuy.net - a website for drone hobbyists
Follow us on Social
Advertise on DART-Creations.com
DART Creations is interested in developing partnerships with mutual benefit. If you like the stuff we publish and would like to develop a relationship, we'd be happy to hear from you. Go on - drop us a line - we'd love to hear from you :-)
The Outstanding HunGRYJPEG Bundles
AWESOMENESS! Bundles of premium font + graphic packs at more than 96% OFF! Get this bundle for just $29 - This month ONLY!
New! DIVI 3.0 WordPress TeMPLATE + PageBuilder - 10% OFF Limited Launch offer
You'll surely create a perfect website with Divi 3.0!