Testing Joomla 3 BETA versions
Joomla 3 is currently still in an advanced stage of BETA or what is termed Short Term Support. This means that there current dot (.) releases will not be around for a long time, until the Long Term Support version, i.e. Joomla 3.5 will be released. This means that versions of Joomla 3.0, to 3.5 will arrive and leave quite quickly. Here is how to update to the latest versions.
Joomla 3.1 is due at the end of March (2013). The major new feature is likely to be Tags, which can be added to articles and extensions to organize them more effectively.
A Beta version of Joomla 3.1 is already out. The Joomla team wants as many people as possible to test each version before release, so they make it easy to install and test Beta versions. Here's how to test Joomla 3.1 and Tags.
Option #1: Install Joomla 3.1 (or the latest dot release)
The first way to test 3.1 is by creating a brand new installation.
There is usually an official Joomla 3.1 release announcement. With the announcement, the provided links for downloading Joomla 3.1. You can download and install those files just as you would a normal copy of Joomla.
Option #2: Update a Joomla 3.0 Site
The seond way to test 3.1 is by updating a Joomla 3.0 site.
- Start with a Joomla 3.0 site. This is a Beta version, so please do not do this on your live site.
- Go to Component > Joomla! Update.
- Click the Options button.
- Change the Update server to Testing.
- Joomla will hopefully show you that the update was successful.
- You can now test the new Beta version, including the Tags feature.